|Plot details follow, read at your own risk.|
- "Don't do anything I wouldn't do... partner."
- ―Roy Earle
- 1 Persons of Interest
- 2 Objectives
- 3 Detailed Walkthrough
- 3.1 111 Club Crime Scene
- 3.2 Blue Room Club
- 3.3 The Mocambo Club
- 3.4 Hollywood Police Station
- 3.5 Bus Shooting
- 3.6 Kelso's Apartment
- 3.7 Hollywood Police Station
- 3.8 Robert's Diner
- 3.9 Hollywood Post Office
- 3.10 Grauman's Chinese Theatre
- 3.11 Meeting Place
- 3.12 Hollywood Police Station
- 4 Case Briefing
- 5 Case Notes
- 6 Collectibles
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Video Walkthroughs
- 9 Bugs/Glitches
Persons of Interest
- Eddie McGoldrick - Former Marine and 111 Club owner.
- Bittleston - Jazz musician and 111 Club shooting victim.
- Bowe - Jazz musician and 111 Club shooting victim.
- The Hostess - Hostess at 111 Club.
- Elsa Lichtmann - German exile and nightclub jazz singer.
- Meyer Harris Cohen - 'Mickey' Cohen, prominent organized crime boss.
- Johnny Stompanato - Prominent crime figure and bodyguard of Mickey Cohen.
- Felix Alvarro - Former Marine and Hollywood transit bus driver.
- Courtney Sheldon - Former Marine medic listed on Coolridge passenger manifest.
- Jack Kelso - Former Marine and OCS training dropout.
- Walter Beckett - Former Marine listed on Coolridge passenger manifest.
- Michael Driscoll - Former Marine listed on Coolridge passenger manifest.
- John Higgins - Former Marine listed on Coolridge passenger manifest.
- Patrick Connolly - Former Marine listed on Coolridge passenger manifest.
- Investigate the 111 Club
- Investigate The Blue Room
- Meet with Robbery Detectives
- Interview Mickey Cohen
- Tail Elsa Lichtmann
- Attend Bus Stop Shooting
- Search Sniper's Body
- Locate Jack Kelso
- Attend Robert's Diner Shooting
- Investigate Grauman's Chinese Theatre
- Investigate Hollywood Post Office
- Investigate 1040 North Las Palmas
- Interview Courtney Sheldon
111 Club Crime Scene
The case starts out with a triple homicide at the 111 Club on Hollywood Blvd. Although the Homicide division is of course on the scene, Vice is called in due to the presence of yet more Army surplus morphine.
After finding all of the clues, interview the hostess.
Interview The Hostess
|111 Club Shooting Incident||Doubt||Bad Cop|
|Knowledge of McGoldrick||Truth||Good Cop|
Blue Room Club
Continue on to the Blue Room Club and you will be forced into a cutscene which leads to Elsa Lichtmann being questioned.
Interview Elsa Lichtmann
|Army Surplus Morphine||Doubt||Bad Cop|
|Morphine Overdose Victims||Doubt||Bad Cop|
After this, you will tail Elsa back to her home by car. If you are not spotted you will unlock the Achievement/Trophy The Shadow. This is followed by cutscenes, leading up to you pulling up to a restaurant where you'll talk to Mickey Cohen.
The Mocambo Club
Upon entry, Earle will inform the Maître D' that you are here to see Cohen. You will be shown to his table - it's number three.
Interview Mickey Cohen
- "Mickey has been questioned a thousand times. See if you can do any better."
- ―Roy Earle
|Finkelstein drug operation||Doubt||Bad Cop|
|111 Club shooting incident||Doubt||Bad Cop|
Hollywood Police Station
Now follow your partner to the Burglary department, sit down and take a look in the book Harold Caldwell gives you. There'll be four circles on the right hand page; tap all of them: M1928A1.45, M1918.30, Valor cigarette carton, Morphine Tartrate. Directly after, an officer will tell you that there is a sniper that needs to be taken out.
You are called to a bus shooting where you need to take out one of Cohen's henchmen. There is a ladder on the back of the building that he is atop. When the henchman is neutralized, search his body.
|Found inside the sniper's right coat pocket.|
|Description||Pocketbook recording details of hit on Alvarro, note reads: CL 234, Table 3|
A cutscene will be activated and you'll be back on street level. You will start talking to another Marine from your old unit named Felix Alvarro, who happens to be the bus driver.
Interview Felix Alvarro
|Informed of Coolridge Heist||Doubt||Bad Cop|
|Motive for Shooting||Lie||Accuse||Sniper's Pocketbook|| 6th Marines
After answering the second question correctly you will earn an achievement/trophy, The Fighting Sixth.
Following this event, go to the gamewell on the street opposite the bus, next to the ambulance, to find out Jack Kelso's address. Once you get it, drive over there.
Drive to the apartment building and you'll find him walking up to his door. There'll be a short cutscene and you will be back at the Hollywood Police Station to interview him.
Hollywood Police Station
After the cutscene, you will interview Kelso.
Interview Jack Kelso
|Army Surplus Morphine||Doubt||Bad Cop|
|Ex-Marine McGoldrick||Truth||Good Cop|
|Arms Stolen from Coolridge||Truth||Good Cop|
|SS Coolridge Robbery||Doubt||Bad Cop|
Due to the number of questions, this interview is a good chance to get the Achievement/Trophy The Hunch.
Following on from this you will be forced to chase down and shoot multiple suspects at Robert's Diner.
You'll chase the goons in cars but eventually they will pull into a dead end and there will be a shootout. To easily win the gunfight, flank the storefront to the right, go towards the goons and kill them.
Examine the closest body to the thugs' car, before you leave.
Examine the newspaper located between the two dead bodies. The second man cannot be examined.
Proceed to the Hollywood Post Office where you will take part in a shootout against 4 enemies.
Hollywood Post Office
Once you have defeated the shooters you will have to search the dead bodies.
- Another former Marine named Walter Beckett will give you Beckett's Confession.
- Search Beckett's left hand for a business card.
- On the opposite side of the post office is another former Marine, Michael Driscoll, lying dead on the floor in an enclosed postal box area. Search his left coat pocket for a note.
Now head over to the Grauman's Chinese Theatre where a chase will await you.
Grauman's Chinese Theatre
Once you proceed to the theater you will have to chase down the new assailants and kill them. After the cutscene, go over to the meeting place.
Upon arrival, Cohen can be seen escaping in his car and a lengthy shootout ensues. The police station notifies Roy that Courtney Sheldon, who is accompanied by Dr. Harlan Fontaine, is requesting to be interviewed by Cole.
Hollywood Police Station
Once you reach the Hollywood Police Station you will need to enter Interview Room 2 to begin the cutscene which leads to the interrogation.
Interview Courtney Sheldon
|6th Marines Being Targeted||Lie||Accuse||Note or Shooter's Notebook|
|SS Coolridge Robbery||Lie||Accuse||Beckett's Confession|
After the interview, Sheldon is prepared to make a deal. However, before Phelps is able to begin negotiating, the Chief and Captain interrupt and inform Phelps that he is suspended pending a fitness review. It is revealed that Cole's affair has been exposed and his wife, Marie Phelps, is kicking him out.
In the final cutscene Phelps is seen entering Elsa's apartment.
"Multiple homicide at the 111 Club. Sounds like they shot the place up without much concern for who got in the way. The shooters' motives are unclear, all we know is that two victims turned up carrying Army surplus morphine and now Ad Vice needs to make an appearance. We took a hundred grand's worth of this dope from Lenny the Fink, and somehow it's still reaching the streets."
- "Despite mob wars and an unsolved robbery, one story will dominate the market."
- Remastered Version has it written in a different way: "Despite mob wars and an unsolved robbery, one story will dominate the newsprint."
- "Getting a Marine like Felix to rat on his buddies would have required subtle questioning and solid evidence."
- "The two ex-marines shot dead at Grauman's Chinese were left unattended by anyone but the press."
- During the shootout at Robert's Diner you can acquire a rare Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR) to use, which will help towards the Roscoe and Friends Achievement/Trophy. To get a kill with it, simply kill the criminal who is using the automatic weapon, retrieve it, then kill the second criminal with the gun.
- A newspaper can be found between the two bodies following the chase and shootout after arriving at Robert's Diner.
- A shield required for The Badge Pursuit Challenge can be found under the awning at the entrance to Grauman's Chinese Theatre.
- The game makes a reference to Charles Stoker and Brenda Allen.
- The ending cutscene marks the only time Phelps' wife, Marie Phelps, has any dialogue.
- Near the end of the case, Captain Donnelly will ask Roy to his office even though his office is in Central Police Station rather than Hollywood Police Station.
- This is one of the few occasions where you can see the Nickel Plated Pistol (Nickel Plated Colt M1911) in cutscenes. You still have to wear The Sharpshooter outfit, however.
- If wearing the Hawkshaw outfit, Phelps is depicted with a .45 in his holster even after he surrenders his gun.
- Roy Earle introduces Phelps to Mickey Cohen even though they were already acquainted shortly after the Hammond case started.
- The phrase "Manifest Destiny" is used by Mickey Cohen in the movie Gangster Squad. Manifest Destiny is also the name of an Achievement/Trophy in another Rockstar game, Red Dead Redemption: It is achieved when the player hunts the buffalo to extinction.
- Manifest Destiny was a doctorine belief in the 19th Century that American settlers were destined to settle the entire North American continent and to remake to West agrarian. In which those who live simple, rural lives were superior to those who lived in urban areas.
- Connie Fletcher, who plays Marie Phelps, Cole's wife, is married to Aaron Staton, who plays Cole.
- If the player has Phelps and Roy report back to Hollywood Police Station after investigating the 111 Club and before investigating the Blue Room, then the bus shooting warning cutscene will still take place at Hollywood Station immediately after interviewing Mickey Cohen at the Mocambo. If not, then the cutscene will occur after examining the manifest. If the player instead heads directly to the Blue Room then Phelps and Roy will automatically investigate the manifest after the Mocambo scene. However, all robbery-related clues must be found in order for either circumstance to happen. If not, then you will be required to return to the 111 Club and find whatever related clues you have missed. Roy might even say something like "We missed something at the 111 Club. We'd better go back."
- If you are travelling from the Hollywood Post Office to the Grauman's Chinese Theater, do not take the back streets. One of the alleyways on the route is the 'Meeting Place', and entering the alley will automatically trigger the cutscene for the alley shootout, skipping over the Grauman's car chase entirely. It is impossible to go back following the alley shootout and play the Grauman's section. You also have to drive the car; if your partner drives, you will completely skip over the Grauman's car chase.
- Elsa refers to Earle as an Untersturmfuhrer, which was a paramilitary rank used in Nazi Germany, most infamously by the Schutzstaffel (SS), and generally equivalent to a second lieutenant in western armies.
- If the player prematurely leaves the interview with Elsa at the Blue Room, the backstage area can be explored, where a list of musicians set to perform is listed in the hall. The names Dud Smith, Marty Goines, and Coleman Healy on it are an obvious nod to the characters from James Ellroy's novel "The Big Nowhere".
- This is the first case that Cole's partner appeared in the newspaper.
- The model numbers on the Browning Automatic Rifles found are reversed so that they are always right side up. At the 111 Club, Cole picks up the rifle with the muzzle pointed to the right, and later at the bus shooting, he holds the rifle with the muzzle pointed left. This was likely an oversight.
- There is a potential case breaking bug that can appear if you go to the Hollywood Police Station to examine the manifest before talking to Mickey Cohen. After examining the manifest the second time, the sniper event does not trigger, resulting in no further progress being possible and necessitating a restart of the case.
- In the second room (with the trumpet case) of the first crime scene, near the wall with about a dozen bullet holes, it is possible to wedge yourself in between a few chairs. Your only method of escape is to quit or restart, although sometimes it is possible to run out of the glitch. (PS3 tested)
- There is the potential for complete invisibility after the first cut-scene. (Only PS3 tested)
- While tailing Elsa it is possible to get caught in an unsolvable traffic jam. You cannot get her taxi to progress without detection, and the only solution is to allow the suspect to detect you enough times for the game to prompt "Skip Action Sequence?", allowing you to progress. (Only PS3 tested; one X360 player reports this as well)
- After picking up Kelso from his apartment, the entire cutscene has the potential for some odd errors, leaving weird still frames of the last cut on the walls. This can be fixed by pausing the game and then resuming. (PS3 tested)
- There is a bug in the Hollywood Post Office building which may cause a strange echo if Roy Earle moves away from the player and a script is launched, causing him to say something. (Only X360 tested)
- There is a bug in front of the Hollywood Post Office in which a patrolman is standing on the roof of a police car.
- After you kill the sniper that was shooting at the bus, if you walk around the baseball field it's possible that Roy suddenly appears on the top of the resting house and can't get off of it. You can solve this problem by entering a car and driving to the next location. (PS3)
- There is a bug in Grauman's Chinese Theater which may cause the sound of the Thompson M1 to loop even after a car chase has started and the detectives have left the scene of the shooting. This bug can occur during any cutscene immediately following a shootout (confirmed on all platforms). Can be cured by failing the chase and starting it again. (PC, X360)
- There is a bug at the Meeting Place where, if you shoot the car around the corner that's trying to get away, it will crash into the wall and prevent you from advancing. If attempting to squeeze between the dumpster and the car, you will be trapped between them and most likely Roy. Quitting and resuming should fix this.
- Another bug at the meeting place causes the enemy in the car in the alleyway and another enemy standing outside the car on the passenger side to freeze until shot at. (PS3 tested)
- There is another bug where, after you tail Elsa in her cab, Cole's hat will appear upside-down and inside his head during the cutscenes. The case of the upside-down clipping hat may correct itself when the scene changes to Phelps approaching the door. (PC tested; players have also takenscreenshots of the bug)
- There is another bug where, after interviewing Jack Kelso at the Hollywood Police Station, the rest of the mission won’t play out and will automatically restart. (PS4 tested - Remastered Version)