Outfits are sets of clothing that Cole Phelps can wear in L.A. Noire. New outfits are unlocked as the player's rank increases. Additional outfits can be obtained through pre-order bonuses and downloadable content. You can change outfits at any time in the "Outfits" section in the pause menu. You cannot change outfits during cutscenes or interrogations, however. Several of the outfits augment Cole's abilities. However, you cannot change outfits while on the Patrol desk, or while playing as Jack Kelso.
List of Outfits
Standard outfits are included in the game:
- Beat Cop Uniform - The default outfit during Patrol. Cannot be worn outside of these cases on PS3, Xbox 360 or PC. It is available on the Remastered Editions of the game.
- Golden Boy - Unlocked and automatically worn after being promoted to the Traffic desk.
- Sword of Justice - Unlocked at rank 5. When promoted to the Homicide desk, Phelps automatically changes into this outfit.
- Sunset Strip - Unlocked at rank 8. When promoted to the Vice desk, Phelps automatically changes into this outfit.
- The Outsider - Unlocked at rank 13. When transferred to the Arson desk, Phelps automatically changes into this outfit.
- Hawkshaw - Unlocked at rank 18. Increases damage resistance.
- Tar Uniform
- The Sharpshooter - Increases accuracy with rifles and pistols. Available after completing the Patrol cases. Part of The Complete Edition of the game.
- The Broderick - Increases damage resistance and fist-fighting capabilities. Also allows Cole to carry a Nickel-Plated HP Browning. First available as pre-order bonus, later as DLC.
- Button Man - Grants extra ammo. Unlocked by completing The Badge Pursuit Challenge.
- Chicago Lightning - Increases accuracy with the BAR, Thompson, and Shotgun. Can only be obtained by being a member of the Rockstar Social Club.
Remastered Edition Bonus Outfits
Bonus outfits that can only be obtained on the Remastered Edition (PS4, XBoxOne, Nintendo Switch) versions of the game:
- The Hard-Boiled Detective - Permanently removes one of the incorrect actions during interviews. Unlocked by finding all eight of the Novels.
- The Incognito - Makes it more difficult to be discovered while tailing persons of interest. Unlocked by completing all of the Vice Desk cases without ever being discovered while tailing suspects.
- The Murphy - Permanently removes the reloading animation for handguns, shotguns, and Tommy Guns. Unlocked after completing the Obstacle Course at the Army Base in under 3 minutes.
- The Untouchable - Prevents you from taking damage from fistfights and also does not show bloodstains. Unlocked by dodging 20 punches in a row without being hit.